Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

No New Mail!

I recently switched over to a Gmail account from my old university e-mail account.

You may be wondering why it took me three years and a change of last name before I ditched my MSU account...  I really don't have an answer for you.  I don't like when things change, I guess.

Anyway, it looks like I had a good reason to be wary of gmail, because guess what?  It's rude.  I don't like it.  I signed in to check my e-mail today, and here is what it said on the main screen:

No New Mail!

Is the exclamation point really necessary?  I feel like it adds an air of hostility to the inbox.  It like, "Get out of here!  There's no new mail, okay?  Stop bugging me!  I'll send a message to your phone if anyone e-mails you!  Please stop waking me from my cyber slumber and let me have some peace!"

Maybe I'm interpreting that incorrectly.  Maybe the exclamation point isn't hostile.  If it's not being openly mean, though, then I feel that at least it's a backhanded way of telling me I'm a loser:

"No new mail!  That's right, no one wants to talk to you!   You have no friends, and even the junk mail people can't be bothered with contacting you!  No new mail? That never happens!  Hey Lou, call the newspaper!  This girl is SUCH a loser that she doesn't even have one solitary e-mail!"

I get it, okay gmail?  No one contacted me today.  You don't have to proclaim it with excessive exclamatory punctuation.  It's not that exciting.  It's actually kind of depressing.  Why don't you say "No New Mail :-( "  or "No New Mail today, but don't worry - we're sure someone will contact you soon!"  or even "We at Gmail love you even if no one else does."

 I liked my MSU mail better.  They just said, "There are no new messages in this inbox."  No extraneous exclamations.  It got right to the point without judging me.

I think I'm going to go e-mail my gmail account from my MSU account just to get that condescending message off of my screen.  Technology today is so insensitive.

1 comment:

  1. Technology is insensitive these days. It likes to burst out into tantrums and fits when I walk into a room. That's one of the many perks of being married to an engineer!

    (I saw you post on my friend Tayler's blog, and so I decided to come over and check out yours.)

    Cheers!
    Tashya

    thoseweirdheims.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete